The Payroll Division provides timely and accurate preparation, distribution and reporting of payroll for County departments and special districts to ensure that employees are paid correctly and in compliance with Federal and State reporting requirements.
The Payroll Division provides a range of biweekly payroll services to 6,700 active employees that work in the County, Superior Courts and four (4) special districts. The primary responsibilities are to:
- Ensure payroll procedures and reports meet legal requirements.
- Develop, follow and monitor controls for payroll processing.
- Maintain configuration for the payroll and timekeeping systems.
- Audit timesheet entries including payroll and leave time adjustments.
- Process, record and track State Disability Insurance and Workers’ Compensation integrated payments.
- Set up, calculate and remit to various carriers the payroll deductions such as garnishments, levies, union dues, and charitable contributions.
- Process and submit payroll taxes such as Social Security and Federal and State withholdings.
- Process benefit deductions and retirement contributions through the payroll system.
- Enroll employees into the Direct Deposit program.
- Prepare and process all quarterly and annual tax returns as required by the Federal and State government.
- Prepare and process the Annual State Controller’s Compensation Reporting.
- Prepare year-end W-2s for nearly 8,700 active and terminated employees including part-time Election Poll Workers.